Winter 2012 style trends

2012 has finally arrived and we all know what that means: Another year of clothes.

Spring and summer styles for 2012 are on their way and while I am excited for the new trends that don’t involve layering to keep warm, there are some items from this past year that I would like to keep around.

Military boots

They’re tough, and you don’t even need to be in combat to wear them. When the men’s military trend made its appearance in 2009, it didn’t take long to see a more fashionable version of service boots being released. I find them to be a nice alternative to over-the-knee boots, which have also been popular in the last couple years. They’re perfect for adding some edge to a girly look or grunging it out.

Burgundy

It was a big colour these past months and I’m still obsessed with it. Typically fall colours bore me, because there’s only so much one can do to make browns, reds and burnt orange fun. Maybe it’s simply the clothing I’ve been finding in a burgundy colour that makes me so giddy? Either way, it’s a great colour to wear against most skin shades and it’s a great alternative to the depressing black, grays and blues that usually take over in the winter.

Feathers

Maybe it’s just my inner hippie but nothing makes me happier than some feathers. I really loved the wave of feather extensions that suddenly appeared over the summer and fall; I felt that it added a very relaxed vibe.

While I think the owl has been over-used in accessories, I’m still crazy about feather earrings. However I have yet to decide whether the new headbands with the descending feathers on one side are a good thing. While there are some trends that I will continue to exploit in my own personal style and I’m sure others will too, there is one trend that I hope to retire this year:

Harem Pants

I think it’s time to let this one go, as much as it pains me to admit it. Only one per cent of our population can rock this and look amazing — and those are models. I think it’s time for a more flattering version of a trendy pant for lazy girls.

Predictions?

Let’s fast forward a couple months and pretend that we won’t have snow until March. Pastels are always big in the spring as well as floral, which is nothing new. But since runways have been presenting the 1920s as the “new” look for the past two years (which is how long it takes for many retailers to catch on), I’m hoping to see more drop waist dresses, fringe and those adorable bell-shaped cloche hats.