Dell, Anthony drafted in fifth round of CFL draft

(Photo by Heather Davidson)
Isaac Dell and Alex Anthony were drafted into the CFL on Monday. (Photo by Heather Davidson)

Full back Isaac Dell and receiver Alex Anthony heard their names called in the fifth round of the CFL draft Monday afternoon, being selected 37th and 39th overall.

Dell was the first Laurier player selected Monday, as he was drafted by the Hamilton Tiger Cats in the first selection of the fifth round. Dell made 16 catches for 226 yards and 20 rushes for 106 yards with the Hawks last season. At the CFL combine in March, Dell finished third overall in both the broad jump and three-cone drill.

Two selections later, the Saskatchewan Roughriders selected Anthony, who was the Hawks’ top receiver last season, making 21 catches for 300 yards and two touchdowns. Anthony finished eighth in the 40-yard dash at the CFL combine, with a time of 4.626 seconds.

Dell and Anthony follow WLU alumnus Shamawd Chambers, who was selected sixth overall in last year’s CFL draft to the Edmonton Eskimos. Justin Phillips was also selected in the first round in 2007.

Laurier ranks seventh among Canadian universities for the number of CFL draft picks since 2000. 23 players from the Hawks have gone on to be selections in the CFL.