Weezer tribute rocks Starlight

Last Thursday the Starlight Social Club was host to a very special act – the world’s greatest all-girl Weezer tribute band, Sheezer.

Hailing from Toronto, this band is made up of five very talented ladies from the local indie music scene, each with a particular fondness for the music of Weezer.

The newly formed act has thus far proven to be a successful endeavour, particularly since Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo “tweeted” his approval of the group.

Formed in the early ‘90s, Weezer’s career took off with singles like “Say It Ain’t So”, “Undone – The Sweater Song” and “Buddy Holly.”

Despite continually releasing new material, most Weezer fans have remained most loyal to the band’s earliest works.

It is in this respect that Sheezer, having only formed within the past year or so, has thus far framed their repertoire around the band’s first two records, “The Blue Album” (Weezer) and Pinkerton.

The night at the Starlight began with Trap Tiger, a local band whose fast, high-energy and enthusiastic stage banter was the perfect introduction to the main act.

Armed with guitars, bass, drumsticks, harmonica and sporting some stylish boots, Sheezer took the stage in front of an eager audience.

In terms of technical accuracy and authenticity to Weezer’s studio recordings, everything was impeccable.

With each song, the crowd heard the definitive guitar riffs, solos, drum beats and feedback.

Even the opening dialogue from “Undone – The Sweater Song” was performed by volunteers from the audience.

They played every song from “The Blue Album”, starting with “My Name is Jonas” and closing the show with the last track of the record, “Only in Dreams”.

Interspersed were three songs from Pinkerton – “El Scorcho”, “Getchoo” and “The Good Life”.

Four of the five band members took turns singing the beloved tunes, while the fifth member held her own on the guitar.

It was clear that Weezer’s back catalogue had longstanding ties to the audience, who sang and danced along.

One member of the crowd ecstatically exclaimed to her friend, “So much nostalgia!”

Moreover, the band seemed to be having as much fun as their audience, assuring that Sheezer will attain lasting approval from Weezer fans everywhere.