Vlogs reach out to Laurier community

Third-year english and film studies student Kyle McCord and second-year communication studies and women and gender studies student Stuart Frings have both started YouTube channels that are rising in popularity.

Photo by Jessica Dik
Photo by Jessica Dik

YouTube is a favoured website among university students. It allows you to listen to music, watch movie trailers and provides access to comedic video vlogs or channels that are highly entertaining and relatable. For some, YouTube acts as a platform for self-expression and a way to deliver a message to a large audience.

McCord started his self-titled channel in the summer of 2013.

“I felt like I had a lot to say and needed somewhere to say it other than some form of journal. I wanted to share with people rather than keep it to myself,” he said.

“My channel is pretty much spreading positivity through pop culture and social media … I try to inspire people as much as I can through the stuff that I love.”

McCord noted a few fellow YouTubers he looks up to, but he specifically noted the influence vlogger Tyler Oakley has over his channel.

“I see a lot of myself in him … he has a very positive attitude just like mine, so he definitely influenced [my channel].”

Being a student, having a part-time job and managing a YouTube channel can be stressful and McCord said the balance is not always easy.

“It’s definitely hard, but when it comes to balancing school and the channel, if I’m not putting up videos I’m still trying to connect with people through social media, whether its Twitter, Tumblr or Instagram.”

Although McCord’s channel is more specifically geared to pop culture, life at Wilfrid Laurier University does have a way of presenting itself in his videos.

“The reason why I started the channel was because of the growth and confidence that I gained from being at university. So when it comes down to it, the stuff I talk about is because of my time here at Laurier,” McCord said.

Unlike McCord, Frings isn’t the sole owner of his channel, Twinspeil. He runs the channel with his twin brother, Colin, who is currently a student at Humber College.

“Our slogan is ‘Be Kind, Be Cool, Be Crazy,’ so that’s kind of really what the essence of our channel is,” Frings said.

“It’s about involving all of that into being yourself and having fun. Me and my twin brother are both gay, and we’re open about that [on our channel].”

“There’s a little more focus on the gay community in a way because we’re very open about it … but there is content that straight people can laugh at, too,” he continued.

Frings said one of his YouTube role models is fellow vlogger MarkE Miller.

“He does a vlog with his boyfriend, and they’re very open about themselves. They’re also really positive people.”

Frings has done several collaborative videos with other students during his time at Laurier.

“I’d like to keep doing that,” he said. “Whether it’s friends or other YouTubers.”

Both McCord and Frings, while having very different YouTube channels, had generally the same goals for the future of their channels.

They both hope their channels can reach the Laurier community and spread positivity amongst students who are living busy, stressful and demanding lives.

“Our channel is mostly about making people laugh … it’s not like the content I’m providing is directly aiding their success in school, it’s more that I know that if students are really down or stressed they can watch my videos and have a good laugh,” Frings said.

“We all have a time in our life where we get stressed out, so I try to give back to [my viewers] and give them that break or laugh they need at that time,” McCord said.