Tips to set yourself apart

Graphic by Joshua Awolade
Graphic by Joshua Awolade

Attending university for the first time can be scary and exciting. It is a moment filled with anticipation and can be overwhelming as you enter into a new and unknown world.

It’s good to have an idea of what you want to achieve after you complete your post-secondary education.

There are thousands of people who graduate with the same degree you are trying to gain. Therefore, experience, ambition and hard work means everything if you want to succeed.

When it comes down to finding a job, you are going to have to set yourself apart from the crowd.

If you want to set yourself up for life after university, here are three basic tips.

Find out what you are passionate about

Whether you are interested in computer science, astronomy, politics, media, writing or business, there is something for everyone. Don’t take a course because someone told you it would be an easy “bird course.” If you are not interested in the content then you’ll have a hard time following along. Therefore, choose electives that strike your interest. That way you will be more excited to contribute to lectures and tutorials.

Get to know professors

Build relationships with your instructors. Professors love it when you approach them with questions about the course or topics from the day’s lecture. If you show more interest in their class, they will show more interest in you. Not to mention they may be a great reference for you when you are ready to graduate.

Get involved

A lot of people are working for the same degree, so it is important for you to set yourself apart from the others. Get involved in on-campus organizations or clubs, apply for co-op, become an intern or volunteer outside of campus to gain that practical experience. You don’t have to wait until you graduate to start building your credentials. By doing all this while you are in school think about how great your resume will look to potential employers when you graduate.

Now that you have received a few tips, go out and make the most of your university experience.