Summer Universiade in Kazan: Results for days 1, 2 and 3

(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)
(Graphic by Adele Palmquist)

The Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia, has officially been underway for three days, with mixed results coming from the Canadian athletes. Laurier’s women’s soccer player Kelsey Tikka is also in Kazan for the national team.

Day 1: Friday, July 5

Badminton:
– In team competition, Canada lost to Russia 5-0 and Poland 3-2, and defeated Sri Lanka 5-0. The team finishes third in its pool and moved to the consolation draw on Saturday (July 6)

Diving:
– In the men’s 3m springboard competition, Cody Yano from Edmonton, Alt., finished 16th with a cumulative score of 345.45. He advances to semifinals on Sunday (July 7).

Women’s soccer:
– Canada goes 0-1 in their first game, losing to Mexico 3-2. To face Ireland on Sunday (July 7). OUA’s Jackie Tessier and CWAA’s Natalie Boyd scored in the loss. Kristin Funk of CWAA was in net.

Men’s soccer:
– Canada ties France 2-2 in first match of pool play. Will face Peru on Monday (July 8).

Synchronized Swimming:
– In the preliminaries of free technical solo, Samantha Nealon of Morriston, Ont., finished sixth with a score of 82.100. She advances to the final on Tuesday.

Men’s water polo:
– The Canadians fell to Russia 23-4 in the first game of pool play, and face Japan on Sunday (July 7).

Day 2: Saturday, July 6

Badminton:
– In team competition, Canada wins 3-2 over Brazil in consolation side of the draw. Team competition wraps up Sunday.

Diving:
– In men’s 1m springboard, Cody Yano of Edmonton, Alta., finished 20th with a cumulative score of 299.70. However, he does not advance.

Synchronized Swimming:
– In the team technical, Canada’s team of Janella Ball (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Que.), Gabriella Brisson (Calgary, Alta.), Rachel Fréchette (Deux-Montagnes, Que.), Katherine MacLeod (Pointe-Claire, Que.), Rebecca Maule (Guelph, Ont.), Samantha Nealon (Guelph, Ont.) and Lisa Sanders (Gormley, Ont.), finished 4th in preliminaries with a cumulative score of 83.00. Competition wraps up with team free on Monday (July 8).

Men’s volleyball:
– Canada won 3-0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-16) over United Arab Emerites in the first game of pool play. To face Mexico on Sunday (July 7).

Women’s water polo:
– Canada won 11-10 against Italy in first game of pool play. They will face Russia on Monday (July 8).

Day 3: Sunday, July 7

Women’s artistic gymnastics:
– In team competition, Canada finished 7th with a cumulative score of 152.050. The team consisted of Ellie Black (Halifax, N.S.), Erica Devereaux (Logy Bay, Nfld.), Sarah Flett (Winnipeg, Man.), Natalie Gervais (Winnipeg, Man.) and Mackenzie Itcush (Calgary, Alta.).
– In the individual all-round qualification round, Canada’s Ellie Black (Halifax, N.S.) finished 5th with a score of 55.200 and advances to the final. Mackenxis Itcush (Calgary, Alta.) finished 27th and Natalie Gervais (Winnipeg, Man.) finished 37th, but both do not advance.
– In the individual floor qualification round, Ellie Black (Halifax, N.S.) finishes 6th with a cumulative score of 13.600. Natalie Gervais (Winnipeg, Man.), Mackenzie Itcush (Calgary, Alta.), Erica Devereau (Logy Bay, Nfld) finished 28th, 36th and 39th respectively.
– In the individual vault qualification round, Ellie Black (Halifax, N.S.) finished 2nd with a cumulative score of 14.650 and advances to the final. Mackenzie Itcush (Calgary, Alta.) finished 23rd but does not advance.
– In the individual uneven bars, Ellie Black (Halifax, N.S.), Sarah Flett (Winnipeg, Man.) and Mackenzie Itcush (Calgary, Alta.) finished 18th, 33rd and 36th respectively. All three do not advance.

Athletics:
– In the women’s 10,000m final, Rhiannon Johns (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) finished 9th with a time of 34:18.46.
– In the women’s 400m heats, Alicia Brown (Ottawa, Ont.) finished 2nd and advances to the semifinals.
– In the men’s shot put preliminary round, Timothy Henry-Gallagher (Parry Sound, Ont.) and Tim Nedow (Brockville, Ont.) finished 13th and with a triple foul, respectively.
– In the women’s 100m heatw, Shai-Anne Davis (Richmond, B.C.) advanced to the semifinals with a time of 11.72, as well as Khamica Bingham (Brampton, Ont.), with a time of 11.68.
– In the men’s 100m, Sam Effah (Calgary, Alta.) came first in his first-round heat to advance with a time of 10.64. In the second round, Effah came second in his heat to advance to the semifinals with a time of 10.35.
– In men’s high jump, Django Lovett (Surrey, B.C.) finished 7th and jumped 2.15, but did not advance. Jeremy Eckert (Regina, Sask.) finished 11th, jumping 2.15, but did not advance.
– In the men’s 400m, Benjamin Ayesu-Attah (Coquitlam, B.C.) finished 3rd in his heat with a time of 47.15, advancing to the semifinals. Daniel Harper (Brampton, Ont.) finished first in his heat with a time of 46.70, advancing to the semifinals.
– In the women’s 800m, Helen Crofts (West Vancouver, B.C.) and Jessica Smith (North Vancouver, B.C.) both finished second in their respective heats with times of 2:04.00 and 2:05.11 to advance to the semifinals.
– In women’s long jump, Sabrina Nettey (Surrey, B.C.) finished 7th in her group with a jump of 6.15, but does not advance. Christabel Nettey (Surrey, B.C.) finished 8th in her group with a jump of 6.22, but does not advance.
– In men’s 1500m, Ross Proudfoot (Sudbury, Ont.) and Jeremy Rae (Fort Erie, Ont.) finished second in their heats with times of 3:44.66 and 3:47.81 respectively, and both advance to the semifinals.

Badminton:
– In team competition (Positions 13-16), Canada won 3-2 over Australia
– In team competition (Positions 13-14), Canada lost 3-1 to Ukraine and finishes 14th.

Men’s basketball:
– Canada wins 84-69 over Sweden in first match. Will face United Arab Emirates on Monday (July 8).

Diving:
– In men’s 3m springboard, Cody Yano (Edmonton, Alta.) finished 14th with a score of 348.90, but does not advance.

Fencing:
– In women’s epee, Karis Langvand (Red Deer, Alta.) goes 2-4 and advances out of the preliminary rounds, but loses 15-4 in the round of 128.
– In the men’s sabre, Cedric Boutet (Laval, Que.) goes 2-3 and advances out of the preliminary rounds, but loses 15-10 in the round of 64.

Women’s soccer:
– Canada loses their second match to Ireland 1-0, will face China on Tuesday (July 9).

Men’s volleyball:
– Canada wins 3-1 (21-25, 28-26, 25-22, 25-17) over Mexico and will face Chile on Monday (July 8).

Men’s water polo:
– Canada loses 25-8 to Japan in second game, will face Georgia on Monday (July 8).

With files from Canadian Interuniversity Sport