Stabbing near campus

(Photo by Nick Lachance)

A man and woman were victims of a non-fatal stabbing in a disturbance early Tuesday morning in Waterloo. Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) responded to the call around 3:30 a.m. at 90 Marshall Street, an apartment residence near the intersection of Marshall and Weber Street.

The suspect, who fled in advance of the arrival of police, also entered a residence at 67 Marshall Street and assaulted a male occupant.

According to WRPS, the stabbing victims suffered serious, but non-life threatening injuries, while the other male victim sustained a minor injury.

The male suspect was apprehended by police after fleeing the scene of the second crime, though charges have not yet been laid. He is believed to have been known by the victims.

Robyn Willert, a resident of the neighbouring apartment, said that she saw police cars when she got up to go to work in the morning and claimed to have seen “blood on the door.”

“The only thing that kind of concerns me is that I walk to work at five a.m.,” she said. “It is a little unsettling.”

Willert said she’ll be having her dad drive her to work for awhile as a safety precaution.

Rachel Kuehnel lives in the building where the stabbing occurred, but said she wasn’t worried about the safety of her living situation. To her the incident did not seem to be a random attack.

“I think it was just a closed incident [that] had to do with the people who live there,” she speculated.

Acting dean of students at Wilfrid Laurier University Adam Lawrence had heard about the incident, but was unaware of any details, as additional information has not yet been released by WRPS.

Although many students do reside on Marshall Street, it is unknown whether any students were involved in the incident.

“We deem our campus to be very safe, but we’re constantly working with WRPS, Special Constables and bylaw to ensure safety both on and off campus,” commented Lawrence. “The safety of our students is our number-one priority.”

Special Constables declined to comment, stating that it was an issue to be addressed by the regional police.

An investigation is currently underway to determine the nature of the incident. Anyone who has information is being encouraged to contact either the police at 519-650-8500 ext. 6332 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.