Same pants, different prints

As difficult as it may be to believe now, rumour has it that we will be enjoying an early spring this year.

While I doubt that this spring weather will enter moderate temperatures until April, the preparation for spring shopping does not have to wait. Already hitting the shelves of numerous clothing stores and gracing the pages of magazines, it’s hard to ignore this loud fashion statement. It’s time to pick up a pair of printed pants.

Back in September during London’s Fashion Week, designers such as Matthew Williamson, Peter Pilotto and House of Holland flooded their catwalks with colourful bottoms. And it’s slowly becoming the right season to wear them.

(graphic by Stephanie Truong).
(graphic by Stephanie Truong).

Printed pants are a quick and simple way to update your wardrobe and make a statement without looking tacky. Luckily for us, there are several options available.

American Eagle Outfitters has a handful of styles currently on sale with the changeover from winter to spring and H&M has dozens to choose from. Other fast fashion outlets such as Sirens, Forever21 and Urban Outfitters have also hopped on this spring trend and will have affordable options.

I’m a fan of basics with a twist so anything that can be worn in multiple ways is always a bonus in my opinion. Not only can you dress these bottoms down for class; they can also be worn for a night on the town, replacing the repetitive winter uniform of dark jeans and a cute top.

While I admit that it can seem a little daunting to wear something that can easily become a “Fashion Don’t,” here’s a few tips to keep in mind:

Make the print your focal point. Unless you’re walking a runway, you don’t need big patterns on the top and the bottom to make a statement. Less is more. Small prints, as opposed to spread out prints are more flattering, and if in doubt black and white patterns will work with anything. If you’re feeling daring, pile on the accessories or a crazy shoe, such as an embellished slipper.

While I usually believe that you don’t need to add on, it can keep your look fresh. Just stick with a neutral face to keep from going overboard.

When in doubt, a white t-shirt will always look polished. To channel a more monochromatic look, pick a colour from within the pattern to wear on top. Do not attempt to mix patterns, as the only people who can get away with it are models and they do not exist in classrooms.

Happy spring shopping everyone!