Police identify accident victim as UW student

(Photo by Kate Turner).

Waterloo Regional police have identified the victim of Thursday night’s fatal car accident in Uptown Waterloo as 23-year-old Amelie Limberger, a German exchange student studying at the University of Waterloo.

The fatal crash took place just after 5:30 p.m. Thursday night at the corner of King Street and Willis Way. Limberger was attempting to cross from the west side of the street, leaving the Waterloo Public Square, when she was struck by a silver Volvo. According to the Waterloo Regional Police Services, Limberger was walking within the crosswalk.

She was rushed to Grand River Hospital where she was pronounced dead just after 6:40 p.m.

Following the accident, WRPS were able to confirm the victim was a student, however, they were unable to release her identity as they were still attempting to notify Limberger’s parents through a German police service.

“On behalf of the University of Waterloo, I extend our deepest condolences to Amelie’s family, friends and colleagues,” UW president Feridun Hamdullahpur wrote in a prepared statement Friday morning. “Our entire university community is shocked and profoundly saddened by this loss.”

According to Hamdullahpur’s statement, Limberger was at UW on a one-term exchange, studying in both the environment and engineering faculties. She was on exchange from Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences in Karlsruhe, Germany.

“We hold Amelie’s loved ones in our hearts and minds at this difficult time,” said Hamdullahpur.

Hamdullahpur’s statement added that “any University of Waterloo community members who may need support to reach out to [the UW] Counselling Services team at 519-888-4567 ext. 32655.

The accident is still under investigation and police are asking any potential witnesses to get in touch with the WRPS traffic branch at 519-650-8500 ext. 8856.