One week eating cheap in Waterloo

Monday

Chainsaw: $2 burgers, $5.50 for a pound of wings

The Fox and the Fiddle: $2.99 burgers with the purchase of a beverage (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), $1.99 for a side of fries

Symposium: $3.75 burger

Bombshelter Pub: $3.99 quesadillas served from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Ethel’s: $3.99 burger (veggie option: soy burger) with the purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage

Molly Bloom’s: $4 burger with the purchase of a drink

Morty’s: $0.69 wings with the purchase of a drink (alcoholic or nonalcoholic)
Tip: There is no required minimum purchase of wings, however there is a maximum order of 15 wings per drink.

Marbles: two-for-one burgers (regularly $8.99)

Wilf’s: half-price appetizers with the purchase of a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) after 9 p.m.

Bobby O’Brien’s: All you can eat wings for $12.99 with purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink

Under the radar:
When I went to Bobby O’Brien’s last year, the deal was $9.99, however this year they upped it to $12.99 —­ and you have to get a drink. Nonetheless, they have tons of flavours, tons of wings and best of all the wings are actually really good. My roommates and I decided to have an eating competition which resulted in fun, then discomfort, then guilt — but still fun. I would suggest for anyone to go and check out this under-the-radar joint in downtown Kitchener. – Mackenzie King

Cheap drink option
Symposium: along with their $3.75 burger, Symposium also offers $3.75 drafts on Mondays

Tuesday

Ethel’s: $2 tacos (hard and soft shell, beef and beans) with the purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink

Chainsaw: $2 fries, wings, hotdogs and burgers with the purchase of a drink

Bombshelter Pub: $2.99 pancakes 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., $2 tacos (hard and soft shell, beef and beans) with purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink

Caesar Martini’s: half-price appetizers all day and night

Molly Bloom’s: $0.45 wings, minimum of eight (one pound), with the purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink

Morty’s: $4.99 panzerottis plus toppings with the purchase of a drink

Crabby Joe’s: $0.39 wings all day, minimum of ten wings with the purchase of a drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)

Keeping up with traditions:
In the last few years, Waterloo’s best kept secret — Ethel’s Lounge — has been overwhelmed with popularity from the university crowd. You’re almost always guaranteed to have to wait for a table on Tuesdays for their famous $2 tacos that are served after 4 p.m. While one order gets you four tacos, one order is never enough.

Although the vegetarian option of refried beans comes with the additional cost of a side, the helping of beans covers two orders.

Ethel’s feisty staff, who are likely to chirp you when your addiction has you visiting multiple times a week, combined with their great eats, makes the restaurant the perfect venue any day. – Linda Givetash

Cheap drink option
Chainsaw: toonie Tuesdays offer $2 draft beer, as well as $2 shots of melon-ball (melon liqueur and sprite) and fireball whisky

Wednesday

The Fox and the Fiddle: $0.40 wings with the purchase of a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), a minimum purchase of ten wings

Caesar Martini’s: $0.65 wings, minimum order of five

Failte’s: $3.50 burgers with the purchase of an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink

Ethel’s: $5.99 for ten oven-roasted wings

Bombshelter Pub: $6.99 for a bomber burger and a beer (bonus: $3 bar rail shots and jäger-bombs)

Wilf’s: $9.99 all you can eat perogies, adding bacon or cheese costs $1.39 each

McMullen’s: $23.24 for two pounds of wings and a pitcher of beer

Strategic saving:
Going to Wilf’s for “all you can eat” perogies requires a plan of action. Go in around 12 p.m. when it’s busy, settle in, open up your books so it looks like you’re studying, then order your first round of perogies. Then around every 15-20 mins keep ordering perogies, eventually slowing down to order them every 25-30 mins. By the time its 6, and you’ve been there all day, you’ll have definitely re-defined the definition of “all you can eat.” – Rachel Mahal

Cheap drink option
Symposium: $4 martinis

Thursday

Wilf’s: $0.59 wings with the purchase of an alcoholic or nonalcoholic drink, minimum of five wings

Morty’s: $0.69 wings with the purchase of any drink
Tip: There is no required minimum purchase of wings, however there is a maximum order of 15 wings per drink

Chainsaw: $4.50 mac n’ cheese

The Fox and the Fiddle: $5 nachos after 9 p.m., half-price appetizers before 9 p.m.

Bombshelter Pub: $5.99 panzerotti served from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Ethel’s: $7.95 meatloaf

Which wings?
Wilf’s and Morty’s are in a close competition on Thursday nights in regards to their wing deals. Both places are close to campus and offer a wing special on Thursdays, with only a $0.10 difference in price. Although the required proximity to classes may be enough to sway students towards Wilf’s, Morty’s wings have received far better reviews. 17 out of 25 comments about Morty’s on FourSquare recommend their wings, four of which refer to Morty’s as the best wings they have ever had, or the best in the region.
– Katie Flood

alt text

Cheap drink option
Molly Bloom’s: $3 bottles of Stella

Friday

Caesar’s: $6.98 fish Fridays, includes two pieces of bass with french fries and coleslaw, half-price appetizers from 4-7 p.m.

Molly Bloom’s: $7.99 for one piece haddock fish n’ chips
Tip: ordering a Guinness with this meal will get you a second piece of fish for free

Wilf’s: $12.99 Fish Fridays includes four pieces of beer-battered perch, fries and coleslaw

Angie’s Kitchen: $13.99 all you can eat fish n’ chips

Fighting fish with… fish:

Apparently businesses in Kitchener-Waterloo take Fish Friday seriously, as a total of four businesses on The Cord’s list offer this deal. Although no one has commented on the fish at Wilf’s, Angie’s, Caesar Martini’s or Molly Bloom’s on FourSquare, the variety in location, type of fish and price make the choice an easy one based on personal preferences.
– Katie Flood

Cheap drink option
Crabby Joe’s: $4 martinis

Saturday

Bombshelter Pub: $0.49 wings starting at 5 p.m. with the purchase of a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), ten wing minimum

The Duke of Wellington: $4.99 early bird breakfast served until 11 a.m.
Tip: This breakfast includes the standard eggs, breakfast meats (sausage, bacon or ham) and toast, but upgrading your home-fries to Duke chips (waffle fries) for $0.59 will be the best decision you make all weekend.

Caesar Martini’s: $6.99 pork baby back ribs, fries and gravy

Cheap drink option
Symposium: $10.99 mojito or sangria pitcher

Sunday

Molly Bloom’s: $4 all day breakfast

Morty’s: $4.99 burger and fries with the purchase of a drink

Ethel’s: $7.95 12” pizza with your choice of toppings

Symposium: two-for-one cake
Tip: Symposium is an ideal study setting on Sundays — cheap cake, comfortable chairs and it’s generally pretty quiet in the evening

Hangover-cure:

Molly’s combination of $4 breakfast and $3 Caesars is ideal for curing a hangover. Considering the state that the Sunday church rush (not to mention other hung-over university students) leave closer places like Benny’s in, Molly Bloom’s Irish Pub is well worth the walk. – Katie Flood

alt text

Cheap drink option
Caesar Sunday: $3 Caesars all day at Failte’s and Molly Bloom’s

Everyday

Pita Factory: $5 daily pita special, after 10 p.m.

Zoup!: $7.95 for a soup and half-sandwich

McMullen’s: $23.24 for a 17”, three-topping pizza and pitcher