Laurier’s CFL draft prospects and where they could end up

(File photo by Will Huang)
(File photo by Will Huang)

With the CFL draft just around the corner, The Cord takes a look at Wilfrid Laurier’s six draft-eligible players and what they can offer the CFL, and where they could end up

1) NAME:
Chris Ackie

POSITION:
Linebacker/defensive back

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
4

#’s FROM COMBINE:
40-Yard Dash: 4.67
Vertical Jump: 40.0” (1st at Combine)
Broad Jump: 10’11.5” (1st at Combine)
Bench Press: 14
Shuttle: 4.40
3-Cone Drill: 7.09

FINAL CFL RANKING:
11th

EXPECTED PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
7th

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
Arguably one of the best performers in the CFL Combine, Ackie comes into the draft with great numbers and a load of athleticism. He topped the vertical jump with an outstanding 40”, while leaping 10’11.5” in the broad jump. Ackie will go in the draft for sure — there’s no question about it — because of his versatility and size, and could be a late first-rounder or early second-rounder due to amount of other top-ranked players on NFL radars. He’d be a great asset to a team like Edmonton or Saskatchewan, both of which need a DB/LB guy that can be reliable right out of the draft.

2) NAME:
Ese Mrabure-Ajufo

POSITION:
Defensive lineman

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
4

#’s FROM COMBINE:
40-Yard Dash: 4.84
Vertical Jump: 33.5”
Broad Jump: 9’2.00”
Bench Press: 17
Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.47

FINAL CFL RANKING:
17th

EXPECTED PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
17th

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
Mrabure-Ajufo has worked all year to get his size and speed up to par, and this was evident in his performance with WLU this year. He is a dynamic lineman and would be a great asset to a team like Hamilton, who more than likely will pick up an OL in the first round. They need a good, solid defensive lineman that can find holes in the opposing team’s offence by using his speed.

3) NAME:
Dillon Campbell

POSITION:
Running back

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
4

#’s FROM COMBINE:
40-Yard Dash: 4.57
Vertical Jump: 35.5”
Broad Jump: 9’5.50”
Bench Press: 22
Shuttle: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 7.51

FINAL CFL RANKING:
N/A

POSSIBLE PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
41st

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
Campbell showed his athleticism on the CIS market this year when he exploded for the most rushing yards and was named OUA MVP and a Hec Crighton nominee. His abilities would help any team, but his numbers at the CFL Combine didn’t stand up to the likes of RB Shaquille Murray-Lawrence. Campbell showed in his interview with the Toronto Argos that he’s smart and can adapt well to different playing situations, which could benefit him on the CFL level. With Yale’s Tyler Varga signing a contract with the Indianapolis Colts in the NFL, Campbell has a shot to go in a late round for a team looking for a little bit of speed and a guy that can muscle his way through the trenches.

4) NAME:
Ronnie Pfeffer

POSITION:
Kicker/punter

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
4

#’s FROM COMBINE (Toronto regional):
40-Yard Dash: 4.74
Vertical Jump: 36”
Broad Jump: 9’9.00”
Bench Press: 8
Shuttle: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 7.20

FINAL CFL RANKING:
N/A

POSSIBLE PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
54th

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
No kickers or punters went to the CFL combine this year, which makes it difficult to gauge where Pfeffer will go. He had a solid year with WLU, putting up impressive numbers on punts with a relatively decent record on field goals. He could be a huge asset to a team like Ottawa — a team still trying to find their place. It’s possible they’ll grab Pfeffer in a late round for someone who is versatile with both punting and kicking.

5) NAME:
Asante Mizan

POSITION:
Defensive lineman

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
4

#’s FROM COMBINE (Toronto regional):
40-Yard Dash: 5.37
Vertical Jump: 25.50”
Broad Jump: 8’0.50”
Bench Press: 19
Shuttle: 4.69
3-Cone Drill: 8.40

FINAL CFL RANKING:
N/A

POSSIBLE PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
N/A

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
Mizan was an integral part in Laurier’s defensive line that oftentimes stymied the competition. However, considering the depth of defensive linemen going into the draft this year, it may be difficult to see Mizan being drafted, despite being an essential cog to Laurier’s defence over his four year tenure. Mizan may be able to find a place as an undrafted free agent to a team like Saskatchewan or Toronto, who are looking for a player that can bring a strong physical presence to the field, while eliminating opponents’ offensive opportunities.

6) NAME:
Kelvin Muamba

POSITION:
Wide receiver

# OF YEARS WITH WLU:
3

#’s FROM COMBINE (Toronto regional):
40-Yard Dash: 4.72
Vertical Jump: 31.00”
Broad Jump: 9’10.75”
Bench Press: 9
Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 7.25

FINAL CFL RANKING:
N/A

POSSIBLE PLACE IN DRAFT (PREDICTED):
N/A

BIO AND ANALYSIS:
It might be hard to see Muamba go this year in the draft after taking a year off from CIS play. Muamba is a solid receiver with a ton of athleticism and used his offseason to improve, but his statistics at the Toronto regional combine don’t shine a lot of light on a valuable draft. He has the potential to sign undrafted closer to the season to a team that may need a backup receiver, but the teams that need a receiver (Toronto and Calgary) will likely go for guys like Lemar Durant or Nic Demski.