Hawks continue dominance on day two of OUA curling championship

(Will Huang/Photo Editor)
(Will Huang/Photo Editor)

GUELPH, Ont. – It’s almost not even fair.

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawk curling rinks continued their dominance on day two of the Ontario University Athletics championship, with each team winning both of their games. The men’s rink claimed sole possession of first place in their pool after beating the Lakehead Thunderwolves 7-0 and the Carleton Ravens 8-2, while the women’s rink beat the Toronto Varsity Blues 7-2 in the morning draw and then beat the Trent Excalibur 13-0.

On the men’s side, the Hawks started the noon draw against the 0-3 Ravens. The two teams traded singles before Laurier blew the game open with a score of four to take a 5-1 lead after the third end. They followed up with a steal of two and limited the Ravens to a single before taking one of their own.

The battle for first place in the men’s ‘A’ pool went the same way. After taking an early double, the Hawks continued to steal their way, picking up four points in the next two ends to take a commanding 6-0 lead. After two blank ends, Laurier stole another single point before the Thunderwolves conceded.

On the women’s side, the Hawks played the previously undefeated Varsity Blues in the morning draw. After taking a 4-2 lead going into the fourth end break, Laurier stole three consecutive singles to force the Varsity Blues to concede after seven ends.

The afternoon draw against the Trent Excalibur was blown open after the third end, when Laurier scored nine points in a two-end span to take a 13-0 lead after five. The win gives Laurier an overall record of 3-0, tied with the Western Mustangs in the women’s ‘B’ pool.

Next, the Hawks men’s rink plays the Waterloo Warriors at 8:30 a.m., Saturday morning and the Brock Badgers at 3:30 p.m., while the women’s rink plays the UOIT Ridgebacks at 12 p.m., and the McMaster Marauders at 7 p.m.

You can continue following Laurier’s progress on the Ontario Curling Association’s website here.