Creative outlets are important for students

Some of the best experiences in life are a little outside of our comfort zone, and our time at university is no exception.

Photo by Heather Davidson
Photo by Heather Davidson

Some of the best experiences in life are a little outside of our comfort zone, and our time at university is no exception. I’m a strong believer in not letting your academic major define your experience at Wilfrid Laurier University. As a business student I found it’s so easy to be pigeonholed into my department and not get a taste of some of the really creative, diverse and fun around campus.

Here’s my take on the best outlets to branch out at WLU, whether you’re looking for a new hobby or a just a place to be creative.

Singer-Songwriter’s Circle

Everyone from seasoned musicians to the musically challenged can come together at the Singer-Songwriter’s Circle.
“We’re a really open group,” said fourth-year student Katerina Gimon, the club’s founder and current president.

The singer-songwriters are welcoming more non-music students every day, regardless of whether they’re jamming out with the group or just there to listen.

“Everyone is creative,” Gimon said. “You might not be able to do that in your program every day but it’s important to have that opportunity because it keeps you sane, inspired and motivated.”

WLU Metal Club
If you’re the only headbanger at a Turret night you know it’s time to check out Laurier’s Metal Club. Students can get involved in everything from listening parties, jam sessions and even just connect with other metal fans to check out local concerts.

The Laurier Film Club

Dubbed a “community where Golden Hawk cinephiles can connect,” Laurier’s film club is the perfect place to take an interest in movies a step further.

“Anybody can be a part of the film society,” said Sarah McBain, fourth-year student and club president.

“We have members ranging from science majors to English majors.”

The Film Society hosts events like a double feature showing for Halloween, an Oscar’s Night — complete with prizes for who names the winners — and trivia challenges.

“Don’t be shy, don’t be a stranger and come enjoy a really great time with people who enjoy film as much as you do!” said McBain.

Laurier Musical Theater
There’s an unbelievable amount of creativity, energy and time that goes in to putting on a great theater production. Last year LMT took on an adaptation of Legally Blonde with huge success, captivating the student body and going on to win Club of the Year for 2013-2014. They even put on the original performance of Broadway Musical: The Broadway Musical.

Nothing beats the thrill of being in front of an audience, or even just making sure things go off without a hitch backstage.

KW Salseros
Working as a joint club for students at both the University of Waterloo and WLU, KW Salseros could be a way to connect with a vibrant culture or learn how to turn some heads on the dance floor. The group runs lessons for different skill levels at both campuses.