Checking off your bucket list

Why we are never too young to start a bucket list and push the scope of our life’s happiness

Why we are never too young to start a bucket list and push the scope of our life's happiness

Why we are never too young to start a bucket list and push the scope of our life’s happiness | Graphic by Fani Hsieh

A few years ago, I was working on my bucket list.

I remember someone laughing and saying, “Why are you writing that now? You’re so young.”

I really couldn’t see eye-to-eye with this person because from a very young age, I have been overwhelmingly aware our length of life isn’t guaranteed, and there’s no way of knowing how long you get.

Maybe I’m this way in part because of my dad who’s currently sailing around the world. He worked in the film business for almost 30 years which often entailed 16-hour days and very little free time.

After many hard working years, he decided to fulfill his lifelong dream and leave for his three-year trip this past July.

He sold all of his possessions and we worked for six months to get the boat ready.

I’ll never forget the first phone call we had after he’d been gone for six weeks. It was so good to hear his voice.

He told me he encountered a gentleman in the Madeleine Islands who explained he had recently sold his successful business and moved back home.

When asked why, he explained despite his financial success, he didn’t feel like he was actually living.

You never know the positive impact it could make.

He now lives off of the sale of his business and spends his days fishing, cooking and enjoying his family.

He said he’s never been happier.

While explaining his lifestyle change, this man said to my dad, “I don’t have time to be unhappy.”

This struck an emotional chord in me when I first heard it on the phone, and has become something I live by despite never having met this man.

The key is to find something special, unique and close to your heart. Then do it.

For me, the first thing on my bucket list was to go on a hot-air balloon ride.

I did that with my mother a few years ago and it was incredible.

We were so high in the sky as the sun was rising, immersed in complete silence.

You may choose something completely different, particularly if heights aren’t your thing, but rather than waiting until later, do it today.

The key is to find something special, unique and close to your heart.

Checking off tasks on your bucket list can eventually become a lifestyle.

I realize this may sound overly simplistic and I am no stranger to stress or a busy schedule, but it’s more about the philosophy — the way of thinking.

It can be as simple as going to that restaurant you’ve been meaning to try.

Put a few dollars towards that trip you’ve been day dreaming about.

Tell the person you notice every day that you think they’re special.

You never know the positive impact it could have.

The reality is that we only have so many years to live our lives.

Unfortunately — at least for the time being — time machines don’t exist. There’s no going back. All we can do is move forward and treat each day like it’s our last.