A personality revealed by lipstick

(Photo by Heather Davidson)
(Photo by Heather Davidson)

The right lipstick has the power to change your entire look. This is a bold claim, but one that I believe wholeheartedly to be true.

The right shade can make you look put together when you don’t have time to do the rest of your make up, and can make any outfit look substantially more stylish. I wear lipstick every day; it makes me feel more powerful, feminine and put together. It makes me look confident even when I don’t necessarily feel that way.

At times, it seems like it has become part of my identity; I’ve had people tell me that they didn’t recognize me on mornings that I venture out

with bare lips. I feel the most like myself under a smooth, heavy coat of lipstick.

I’m not saying that makeup can solve all of your problems, but I am a strong believer that looking good can help you feel good. Contrary to what a lot of us think, every girl can benefit from swiping on a good shade of lipstick. If you think you can’t pull off lipstick, you’re lying to yourself.

That being said, different colours do send different messages. Whichever shade of lipstick you tend to wear definitely says a lot about your personality.

Red lips are classic. A good shade of red lipstick can work for almost any occasion, making any outfit look a little bit classier. From orange-toned brick reds to cooler cherry hues, everyone can find a shade that works for them.

There is a reason that red lipstick has remained popular for so long; it makes a statement without being too bold. Red lipstick says, “I’m sophisticated, I’m confident. I’m not afraid to be noticed.” When in doubt, you can never go wrong with classic red.

Heavily saturated tones like pinks and co

rals are always fun. While not the best choice for a job interview, fuchsia lips are great for less formal occasions, such as dinner with friends or dancing.

They are definitely feminine, but don’t give off the impression that you’ve borrowed your grandma’s makeup.      A vibrant fuchsia stain is my go-to choice when the weather starts to warm up like it has this past week.

If it could speak, bright lipstick would  say, “I don’t take myself or my make up too seriously. Life is too short to blend in, or to match my lipstick to my shoes.”

Darker colours like burgundy and plum are definitely harder to wear. While brighter colours seem fun and approachable, deeper ones send off a much more serious vibe to those around you.

(Photo by Heather Davidson)
(Photo by Heather Davidson)

A rich dark hue says, “I know a thing or two about makeup. I’m fashion forward and not afraid to experiment with new looks. Chances are, I don’t like your taste in music.”

Pale pinks and nudes are a great way to make that transition into wearing lipstick. While pale pinks don’t make as big of a statement as brighter shades do, they are a great way to balance darker eye makeup or to help enhance your natural lip colour.

A neutral shade says, “I’m not here to be the centre of attention. I care about my appearance, but I have more important things to worry about.”

Whatever colour you choose, be prepared to make a big and bold statement. You can tell people that you have naturally perfect skin all you want, but no one will believe that you were born with hot pink lips.