A permanent place in the Laurier records

Campbell made his mark on Oct. 3 breaking the all-time school record for career rushing yards

Infographic by Lena Yang and Will Huang
Infographic by Lena Yang and Will Huang

With just over six minutes left in the third quarter against the Waterloo Warriors, fifth-year running back Dillon Campbell ran 29 yards to the endzone for a touchdown, shattering the all-time school record for rushing yards at 3061. The record, previously held by Andy Cecchini in 1991, was rewritten by Campbell as the Wilfrid Laurier University men’s football team beat Waterloo 42-0 on Oct. 3.

Completed on his 31st attempt, Campbell finished the day with 262 all-purpose yards with a game-high total of 241 rushing yards. Campbell put up a total of 143 yards in the first quarter alone, setting the tone for the game for a much-needed win to get the Hawks back on track.

“Super pumped for him,” head coach Michael Faulds said regarding Campbell breaking the record. “Everyone knows Dillon hasn’t been 100 per cent all year but he’s an absolute warrior out there. He’s battling with injury and running extremely hard. Teams know we are running with him and yet he’s still putting up great yardage.”

“You talk to him after a game and you wouldn’t know whether or not he would have 220 yards or 20 yards. He’s just that type of guy. There’s a reason the locker room votes him as a captain every year.”

Campbell also hit another milestone, as he is now tied for fourth-place in career touchdowns at Laurier with Byron Hickey and Andy Baechler with 24. Campbell drove the offence, running the ball to the house three times before being pulled from the game after his record-breaking 29-yard run. Hickey suited up for the Hawks between 2001-05 while Baechler played during 2003-07.

Currently, Jim Reid holds the record for most career touchdowns with 33, set in 1978.

Despite hitting both milestones, Campbell remained poised on the tough schedule ahead.

“Yeah the record’s nice, and the win is a lot better but we’ve still got a lot of work to do,” he said.

The weather conditions Saturday forced the Hawks to rely on their running game, setting Campbell up for success. Faulds, knowing the weather and two beat up quarterbacks would make for a difficult pass-heavy affair, relied on his depth in the running back position once Campbell’s day was over.

It also gave Campbell a chance to ignite a spark and break out, looking more like his true self on the field.

“Yeah it feels good to start running the ball well again. Definitely had a lot better expectations for myself this season, so it’s good to see the ball moving,” he said.

The win gave the Hawks a much-needed boost as they near their final three matchups of the 2015 regular season.

Friday’s tilt against Ottawa holds major playoff implications for the Hawks, as they are in a three-way tie with the Ottawa Gee-Gees and Toronto Varsity Blues for the sixth and final playoff spot in the Ontario University Athletics conference.

Even though the buzz of the locker room is high after the blowout win against the Warriors, Faulds knows there is still lots of work to be done before Ottawa comes to town.

According to Faulds, the Hawks will have to work on their air game if they want to put points on the board and shut down Ottawa’s high-octane offence.

Quarterback James Fracas went down after irritating an ongoing knee injury and backup Eric Morelli went 6-for-17 for 72 yards, a touchdown and one interception against Waterloo.

“I told the guys, ‘You know, enjoy this for the next 20 minutes and then we’re moving on to Ottawa,” Faulds said.

The Hawks will play the Gee-Gees Friday Oct. 9 at 7 p.m., at University Stadium.